Cream of Celery/Chicken/Mushroom Soup
For those of us who eat gluten-free, the holidays can be a pretty big challenge. For instance, my mom's insanely good holiday dressing recipe calls for both cream of chicken and cream of celery soup...unfortunatly, I could find none of these at any of the grocery stores in town. However, I was bound and determined to have that dressing for Thanksgiving dinner this year!!! So, I found this incredibly easy and delicious recipe for cream of anything soup. It only takes about ten minutes to make and made my mom's famous holiday dressing taste just as good as ever!
Find the original recipe at flippindelicious.com
- butter (unsalted) - 3 tbs.
- All Purpose Gluten Free flour blend (I used Great Value All-Purpose Flour Blend or Bob Mills gluten free 1 to 1 flour ) - 3
- chicken broth or vegetable broth - 3/4 c.
- milk - 1/2 c.
- dried thyme - 1/4 tsp.
- dried parsley - 1/4 tsp.
- salt and pepper - to taste
- chopped chicken pieces (optional) - 1/4 c.
- chopped celery (optional) - 1/4 c.
- chopped mushrooms (optional) - 1/4 c.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. If using, add the chicken, celery, or mushrooms and sauté until the vegetables are soft, or the chicken is warm. The butter may start to turn a little brown. Add the flour and whisk until the flour just starts to brown.
- Add the broth and milk while whisking and bring to a boil. Don't stop whisking while you are doing this or it may result in flour clumps in the sauce.
- Boil until thickened.
- Use immediately in any recipe calling for canned condensed soup or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.