Creamy Potato Soup
This gluten free creamy potato soup is basically the epitome of comfort food in soup form!!! It is thick and luscious and full of bold flavors. And really, you can make it as light or heavy as you want. Go for bacon if you want a lighter soup, and go for ham if you want a heartier soup. You can also use butter instead of the bacon grease, but I really don't know why you would. However, you cook it make sure to Enjoy!!!
- ham (or 6-8 slices of bacon) - 1 cup
- bacon grease (or butter) - 3 tbs.
- onion (diced) - 1 c.
- All Purpose Gluten Free flour blend (I used Great Value All-Purpose Flour Blend) - 1/4 c.
- chicken stock - 2 c.
- milk (whole) - 2 c.
- potatoes (diced) - 1- 1 1/2 large
- sharp cheddar cheese (shredded) - 1 c.
- plain Greek yogurt - 1/2 c.
- salt - 1 tsp.
- pepper - 1/2 tsp.
- leeks (optional)...sliced - 1
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. If you are using bacon, cook it in the stockpot until crispy and then reserve 3 tbs. of the grease in the bottom of the pot. If you are using ham, you can just put some leftover bacon grease or butter into the pot instead.
- Add onion and saute until soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle flour on top of onions and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock, milk, potatoes, salt, pepper, and ham (or bacon). Cook until it simmers, but not boils.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in cheese and yogurt.