Crispy Fried Onion Strings
This is one of the things I have missed the most around the holidays since going gluten free. There is just something about these gluten-free crispy fried onion strings that finished off a dish with beautiful texture and unique flavor. And the best part is, they are super easy to make! My husband and kids kept stealing them right off of the plate as I cooked them! I hope these give you dished that extra special flair that they need and deserve. Enjoy!
- sweet onion - 1 large
- buttermilk (or 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 tbs of white vinegar) - 2 c.
- All Purpose Gluten Free flour blend (I used Great Value All-Purpose Flour Blend) - 2 c.
- salt - 2 tsp.
- ground pepper - 1 tsp.
- Vegetable oil - 2 inches
- Cut the onion SUPER thin and marinate in the buttermilk overnight. If you are in a pinch, you might be able to let them marinate for 30 minutes and then fry them, but I have not personally tried this method.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a pan (any size will do) until you have about 2 inches of oil in the bottom.
- While the oil is heating, drain the onion strings.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Once the oil is heated, put a handful of the onions strings into the flour mixture and coat well.
- Drop them gently into the hot oil and let it cook until they are a nice golden brown (about 3-4 minutes). If the oil starts to get murky, just pour it out and add some fresh oil into the pan and resume frying.
- Place the fried onion rings on a plate that is lined with some paper towels and let the strings drain.
- Use as a topping to your favorite dish or just eat them off the plate! Enjoy!