- Yield: 4-5 servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-6 hours minutes
Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken with Fennel Rice
This recipe was a pleasant surprise to me. I am just truly learning the wonders of what a crock pot can do to the flavor of the meat and this recipe did not disappoint. There is just a depth of flavor that is hard to achieve outside of a good long cook in a crockpot! This meat is tender, incredibly juicy and full of delicious Asian spices.
This rice recipe is one of my own making. Do you ever get tired of the flavorless rice we so often get with our Asian meals? Well, I did and decided to do something about it. The fennel seed and sesame oil add a new depth of flavor to this rice that perfectly complements the rich flavors of the slow-cooked meat and it is so easy to do! I was amazed at how simple it was to tweak this rice just right to add another layer of flavor to this already amazing dish.
- Teriyaki Chicken
- chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) - 3 lbs.
- black pepper - 1/8 tsp
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- soy sauce (gluten free) - 1/2 cup
- rice wine vinegar - 2 tbs
- ground ginger - 2 tsp
- garlic cloves (minced) - 2
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- green onions (optional)
- Fennel Rice
- rice (uncooked) - 1 cup
- water - 2 cups
- fennel seeds (toasted and crushed) - 2 tsp
- sesame oil - 1 tbs
- Teriyaki Sauce
- drippings from cooked chicken - All
- cornstarch - 1-2 tbs
- water - 1-2 tbs
- Place the chicken in the crock pot and season with the black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and garlic. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook the chicken on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Shred the chicken when you have about an hour of cooking left and then let it cook the last hour.
- Remove chicken from crock pot.
- Pour the sauce in to a saucepan and heat until boiling. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Use 1 tablespoon water and cornstarch for a thinner sauce, 2 for a thicker sauce. I prefer using 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and water. When the sauce begins to boil, whisk in the cornstarch slurry until it thickens. Add the chicken and sauce back into the crock pot and toss until the chicken is completely coated in the sauce.
- Serve with rice and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Cook rice according to package directions but add the sesame seed oil to the cooking water.
- Toast fennel seeds and crush them.
- Add fennel seeds to cooked rice.
- Put drippings from chicken into a sauce pan.
- Combine water and cornstarch.
- Add mixture to drippings and bring to a boil.
- Lower temperature to low and simmer until thick.