- Yield: 8 servings
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
Dairy-Free Salted Caramel Sauce
It's Fall ya'll!!! And with Fall comes some incredible cravings for all things warm and comforting. The only problem for my daughter and me is that since we have had to go dairy-free, many of these cravings just seem out of reach...until today! This beautiful, creamy dairy-free caramel sauce was just the thing to kick off our new diet and Fall all at the same time with no sacrifices at all! This caramel has a beautiful deep flavor with slightly coconuty undertones that give this sauce a unique and pleasing twist without sacrificing any of that traditional caramel flavor. Pour this over some popcorn, over cheesecake, or stir some into your morning latte. Enjoy!
Find the original recipe at: https://thehiddenveggies.com/vegan-salted-caramel-sauce/
- Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan and gently stir to incorporate. Make sure not to splash any up on the sides of the pan or it will crystalize while it is boiling and give the sauce a gritty texture. If you do see any sugar on the sides of the pan at this time, you can take a pastry brush and gently brush down the sides of the pan with some water to remove the sugar.
- Turn the burner onto medium heat and allow it to boil (WITHOUT STIRRING) until it starts to have that beautiful caramel color. The transition from pale to golden happens very fast so it can also burn very quickly! Watch it like a hawk once it starts to gain any color at all and immediately take it off the stove once it has reached just the right color and carefully pour in the coconut oil and mix to combine.
- Next, carefully pour the coconut milk into the sauce. It will bubble up quickly, so be careful with this step. Just keep stirring it for about 30 seconds.
- Add the salt now (if making salted caramel) and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a heat resistant bowl and enjoy however you like!