Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
This gluten-free dark chocolate is super creamy and full of bold dark chocolate flavor! It has a beautifully soft texture, and would go great with some melted peanut butter or even toasted coconut flakes. If for some crazy reason you don't want it to be quite so dark, you can always lessen the amount of cocoa powder that you put in. Either way, chocolate cravings won't stand a chance with this ice cream! Enjoy!
Original recipe found at: https://chocolatechocolateandmore.com/rich-chocolate-ice-cream-custard-based/
- Heat the heavy cream, milk, and cocoa powder on the stove on medium heat until it begins to simmer but not boil.
- Once it begins to simmer, remove from heat and add the chocolate chips. Stir until they are completely melted.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Slowly pour about half a cup of the milk mixture into the egg yolk and sugar mixture. Make sure to whisk the mixture while you are pouring it so that you don't scramble the eggs with the hot liquid. Keep doing this half a cup at a time until it is all incorporated.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and put it back on the stove on medium heat. Bring this mixture back to a simmer while stirring occasionally.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until all the sugar has been dissolved. You can check this by dipping a spoon into it. Pull the spoon back out and run your finger over the back of the spoon and rub the mixture between your two fingers. If it feels grainy then let it cook for a while longer.
- Remove from heat and cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove from the refrigerator and churn according to your ice cream maker's directions. Store in the freezer and enjoy!