- Yield: 2 cakes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
Death By Chocolate Cake
If you are like me, you can't get enough chocolate!!! This chocolate cake will satisfy the worst chocolate craving with its moist dark chocolate cake, layer of decadent dark chocolate ganache and light homemade whipped cream (super easy)! Enjoy! (How could you not?)
- sugar - 2 cups
- All Purpose Gluten Free flour blend (I used Great Value All-Purpose Flour Blend) - 1 3/4 c.
- xanthan gum (only if your flour blend does not include it...Great Value brand does include it so if you are using it - 1 tsp
- cocoa powder (I used dark chocolate Hershey's cocoa powder) - 3/4 c.
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- eggs - 3 (separated)
- milk - 1 cup
- vegetable oil - 1/2 c.
- vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- hot coffee (strong) - 1 cup
- Whipped cream
- heavy cream - 1 pint
- confectioners sugar - 1/2-1 cup
- Chocolate Ganache
- dark chocolate chips (gluten free) - 12 oz
- heavy cream - 3/4 c. + 2 tbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8-inch cake pans with gluten-free cooking spray or rub with coconut oil. Shake some extra cocoa powder on the inside of the pans and coat the whole pan with it. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar, flour, xanthan (if using), cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Carefully whisk in the hot coffee. The batter will be runny.
- Whisk the egg whites until fluffy and not runny. Gently fold into the cake batter until fully incorporated. This helps give the cake its fluffy spongy texture.
- Evenly distribute the cake batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let it cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
For the Whipping Cream
- Add the cream and sugar to a bowl and whisk until fluffy
For the Ganache
- Put the chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil, then pour over the chocolate chips.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool until it is still pourable but not hot and pour over cake. Store the excess in the refrigerator.