- Yield: 9-12 pancakes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Faux Buttermilk Pancakes
I am not one to keep buttermilk lying around the house because it usually just does NOT get used. So, for those of us who don't want to waste a bunch of money on buttermilk for one batch of pancakes....here are some Faux Buttermilk Pancakes! It's as simple as just adding a splash of white vinegar to the milk and letting it sit for five minutes. That's it! Not crazy ingredients or long wait times. You can use either butter or oil in this recipe, but the oil will give you softer, fluffier pancakes. Now, enjoy buttermilk pancakes whenever you want without having to have buttermilk on hand. Enjoy!
*Note: I have updated and improved the recipe as of July 7, 2021!
- All Purpose Gluten Free flour blend (I used Great Value All-Purpose Flour Blend) - 1 1/4 c.
- baking powder (gluten free) - 1 1/2 tsp.
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- sugar or powdered (cup for cup) Zevia - 1/4 c.
- eggs - 2 whole
- whole milk - 1 c.
- white vinegar - 1 tbs.
- butter (melted and cooled some) or oil - 2 tbs.
- nuts, chocolate chips, dried fruit (optional) - 1/2 c.
- vanilla - 1/2-1 tsp
- Melt your butter in the microwave or on the stove and set aside to cool.
- Measure out your milk and add the white vinegar to it. Set aside to curdle.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Once cooled, add the butter to the milk mixture.
- Add the eggs to the milk and butter mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix until completely combined. You may add more milk if the batter seems too thick or more sugar if it doesn't taste sweet enough.
- Add any additional ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips and stir gently to combine.
- Heat your electric skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Cook the pancakes on each side until they are golden brown and solid in the middle.
- Top with your favorite syrup, peanut butter, or whipped cream and enjoy!