- Yield: 7-8
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 288
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 46 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Serving Size: 1/2 lb chicken
- Sodium Content: 317 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content: 7 g
Greek Chicken with Caramelized Onions
My husband was craving Zoes, so, naturally, we start looking on Pinterest for Zoe copycats. Sadly, we did not find one that we liked, but we found a version of Greek chicken that will, for sure, be a family favorite for years to come! This chicken came out super tender with lots of deep flavors. We made our own red wine vinegar caramelized onions to perfectly complement the herby flavors in the chicken.
The original recipe can be found at: www.budgetbytes.com/greek-marinated-chicken/
To make the marinade, combine the yogurt, olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and some freshly cracked pepper in a bowl. Zest the lemon and add to the mixture. Also add the juice from half of the lemon (about 1-2 Tbsp). Stir until the ingredients are well combined. Roughly chop a big handful, or about 1/4 bunch, of parsley and stir it into the marinade or you can use about a tbs or dried parsley.
Add the chicken pieces and marinade to a gallon sized Ziplock bag. Remove as much air as possible, close the bag tightly, and massage the bag to mix the contents and make sure the chicken is well coated. Refrigerate the bag for 30 minutes.
After marinating for 30 minutes, either cook the chicken on a grill or preheat the oven to 375 degrees in preparation to bake the chicken.
To bake the chicken, place the chicken pieces in a large casserole dish. Bake the chicken in the preheated 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- To make the onions, slice one large onion into 1/4 inch strips.
- Add them to a saute pan along with 1 tbs. of oil. Let this cook until they are wilted and about a medium brown. Stir them often.
- When they are almost done, add the red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan and let them cook for another couple of minutes. You can add as little or as much vinegar as you want according to your taste.