Southern Johnny Cakes
If you are looking for a simple southern comfort food, this is it ya'll! Super quick and easy to make, these are perfect for a snack or an accompaniment to dinner. They are light and fluffy with a beautifully crisp outside. I would recommend that you don't try to substitute the bacon/deer grease though. It is essential to the deep southern flavor of these Johnny cakes! Enjoy!
- cornmeal (gluten free) - 1/2 c.
- All Purpose Gluten Free flour blend (I used Great Value All-Purpose Flour Blend) - 1/2 c.
- baking soda - 1/4 tsp.
- salt - 1/4 tsp.
- sugar - 2 tsp.
- buttermilk - 1/3 c.
- white vinegar - 1/2 tsp
- water - 1/3 c.
- egg - 1
- coconut oil - 1 tbs.
- bacon or deer grease (for frying the cakes in) - 1 tbs.
- chilli flakes (optional) - 1/4 tsp.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Measure out the milk and add the white vinegar to the milk.
- Mix the milk and the other wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, except for the bacon/deer grease.
- Add the bacon/deer grease to the pan and heat at medium-high heat.
- Once the grease is sizzling, add about 3 tbs. of batter to the pan. Brown well on both sides and then let the cakes drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Top with some butter and enjoy!