Orange-Rosemary Chicken and Chickpea Salad
This recipe is a wonderful fresh summer dish that is very easy to make! It fills you up without that feeling of heaviness that you get from richer dishes and also without the calories! It's absolutely packed with ingredients that even the kids will love. You can also switch out the vegetables for any other vegetables you prefer to grille. There are lots of ingredients but you basically pour them on the food and cook it. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! Enjoy!
- Orange Rosemary Chicken
- olive oil - 1/3 c.
- fresh rosemary - 2 tbs.
- orange zest - 1 tsp.
- fresh orange juice - 2 tbs.
- garlic cloves - 2 cloves
- ancho chilli powder (or regular chilli powder) - 1/2-3/4 tsp
- smoked paprika - 1/2 tsp
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- pepper - 1/2 tsp
- chicken thighs - 2 lbs (about 6)
- zucchini - 1 medium
- yellow bell pepper - 1 whole
- red onion - 1 medium
- button mushrooms - 8 oz.
- Chickpea Salad
- olive oil - 2 tbs.
- chickpeas (garbonzo beans) - 1 (15oz) can
- salt - (to taste)
- cumin - 2 tsp
- cherry tomatoes (halved) - 2 pints
- fresh (or dried) chopped parsley - 1/4 c.
- oliv oil - 2 tbs
- red wine vinegar - 1 tbs.
- minced shallot - 1 tsp
- salt - (to taste)
- ground pepper - (to taste)
For the Chicken and Vegetables:
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, garlic, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1 1/2" pieces and place in a large bowl. Pour 1/4 cup of the marinade over the chicken and stir with a large spoon to coat the chicken evenly with the marinade. Chill and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place the cut vegetables into a large bowl. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup marinade over the vegetables mix it with a large spoon to evenly coat the vegetables. (The vegetable can marinate for about 30 minutes.)
- Alternate the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers. (this is when you could cover the kabobs with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill)
- Grill kebabs 13-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally.
For the Chickpea Salad:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the chickpeas and spread out into a single layer. Cook undisturbed until lightly browned on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir, add a big pinch of salt, and spread the chickpeas out again. Cook for another 2 minutes, then stir and spread out again as needed, until golden-brown and blistered on all sides.
- From start to finish, this will take 6 to 7 minutes total.
- Remove from the heat, add the cumin, and toss to coat.
For the vinaigrette:
- Place the oil, vinegar, shallot, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper together in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and parsley and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Combine the chicken and vegetables with the chickpea salad or eat separately on the kabobs. Enjoy!
(Original recipes found at www.dontsweattherecipe.com and thekitchn.com)