- Yield: 12
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Sweet Potato Chili Soup
I wouldn't have believed that this recipe could have worked unless I had tried it, but ya'll...this recipe is dynamite!!! Even the kids ate it up, which made this health-nut mom very happy! It's savory with a hint of sweet from the sweet potato that is unlike anything I have tasted in a soup before but in a very good way.
It is more soup in texture but more chili in flavor. You can thicken this recipe to make it more chili-like in texture by draining the canned tomatoes and chili beans before adding them to the mixture. Also, you could reduce the amount of chicken stock by half a cup if you want.
You can also adjust the spice by reducing the amount of chili powder that you put in. At first, I put in 2 tbs of chili powder in and it was just too much spice for me, but I'm a pansy when it comes to heat in my food. My husband, who can handle more heat said 2 tbs was just right, so it really depends on your own personal taste as to how much you decide to put in.
Find the original recipe at: www.evolvingtable.com/healthy-sweet-potato-ground-turkey-chilli/
- olive oil - 1 1/2 tbs
- sweet onions - 1 medium
- ground sausage (or ground turkey for a low-calorie version) - 1 lb
- sweet potatoes (fresh) - 2 cups
- chili powder - 1-2 tbs
- cumin - 2 tsp
- paprika - 1 tsp
- salt (to taste) - 1 tsp
- pepper - 3/4 tsp
- cinnamon - 1 tsp
- crushed fire roasted tomatoes - 20 oz.
- cherry tomatoes - 1 pint
- chicken broth - 4 cups
- cilantro (fresh and chopped) - 1-2 tbs
- chili beans - 15 oz. can
- Sour cream (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan.
- Add onions and ground sausage. Cook until well browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, cinnamon, canned tomatoes, cherry tomatoes cilantro, and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes (or longer for even more flavor!).
- Add beans and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Put in bowls and top with sour cream if desired.